SHOULD I BUY AN INFLATABLE BOARD?
We often get asked – “Which is better, HARD or INFLATABLE SUP boards? ”
The answer really depends on what you want to use the board for. If you have space issues or would like to pack your board away (in a bag the size of a rucksack) for example on a boat or over winter, then an inflatable SUP board, could be the answer. There is however a performance trade off with inflatables.
The PRO’s and CON’s of Inflatable SUP’s
- Packs away if you have storage issues
- Great for travelling if you have space issues
- Relatively cheap to buy and are no more expensive than a hard board
- Good quality inflatable SUP’s are very durable
- Great for kids as they are soft and double as a ‘party island’.
- Unless you buy an electric pump, it takes a solid 10 minute effort to pump them up.
- They do wobble and add an extra level of instability unless kept them at maximum pressure.
- You may need to top up the pressure every now and again, so they are not set and forget like a hard board.
- They are affected by wind as they sit higher in the water.
- They have no rail profile so they have little or no wave performance.
- DO NOT leave your inflatable board exposed to sun and heat for extended periods.
At the end of the day, if the ‘fun factor’ is high on your list and performance is secondary, the Inflatable SUP will do the job admirably!